Are you confused about all the information on healthy diets and not sure which diet is right for you? And, are you looking for a healthy diet that is flexible and easy to follow? Well, take another look at the Mediterranean Diet. It is highly recommended, by the USDA, as one of the healthiest diets for adults.
Let’s take a look at why the Mediterranean Diet is so beneficial:
- Rich in plant foods and healthy fats, which are proven to protect against heart disease, some cancers, diabetes, obesity, and add to a longer lifespan
- Foods are fresh and never processed; prepared using simple food methods, such as baked, broiled, steamed — never deep-fried.
- Most meals are made with: fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, nuts, olive oil(extra-virgin), olives, cheese, fish, yogurt, poultry, eggs, and wine — very small amounts of red meat, sweets, saturated fat, and sodium
- Along with physical activity, the diet can help in losing and controlling weight
Now that you know some of the benefits of a Mediterranean Diet, try adding more of this food plan to your diet, by eating more plant-based foods and less animal foods — your heart and your body will thank you!
More info and recipes on the Mediterranean Diet:
- Mediterranean Food Pyramid
- Healthy Mediterranean Recipes and Menus
- Recipes, Menus, and Nutritional Advice