Who doesn’t love dessert: chocolate cake, golden pound cake, cheesecake, apple pie, and peach cobbler, all topped with a huge, scoop of vanilla ice cream. All these desserts sound delicious and oh, so gratifying. But, they are also the culprits to putting on those extra unwanted pounds.
As much as I would love to eat a big, slice of chocolate cake, and wash it down with a cold, glass of soy milk, I know that I would pay the price for such impulses.
Whenever, I’m in the mood for something sweet, after dinner, I usually look for low-fat and low-calorie alternatives. Especially, during the summer time when there is an abundance of fresh, seasonal melons and citrus fruits.
If you have a weakness for desserts, but don’t want the extra pounds, try a few of these healthy alternatives:
- Watermelon chunks topped with your favorite yogurt or sorbet (this is my favorite!)
- Seared Figs and White Peaches with Balsamic Reduction
- Piña Colada Sorbet
- Watermelon-Jalapeño Ice Pops
- Peaches with Cava and Lemon Verbena
- Nectarines Poached in Lavender-Honey Syrup
- Minted Watermelon and Lemon Ice Pops
- Bittersweet Chocolate-Cherry Sorbet with Fresh Cherry Compote
- Lemon Curd with Berries
- Cantaloupe Sherbet
- Seven Remarkable Summer Fruit Desserts