After 30-something years of preparing Sunday dinners, there are times when I get tired of cooking the same meals. But, I never grow tired of making spaghetti. Heck, who doesn’t love spaghetti. And, for any woman, who is short on time and wants to cook a tasty meal — spaghetti is the go-to dish. The preparation time for cooking spaghetti is about 30 minutes. Serve it with a salad and rolls — voila! You’ve got a meal that your family will enjoy.
Over the years, I’ve made many variations of spaghetti, but a family favorite is spaghetti with Italian-style turkey sausage. The abundance of seasonings in the sausage blend well with the pasta and spaghetti sauce.
Whole Wheat Spaghetti w/Italian-style Turkey Sausage
- 8 Italian style turkey sausages
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
- 2 (13.25oz) boxes of thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 (24oz) jars spaghetti sauce
- 2 (14.5oz) cans Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add turkey sausages, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook sausages until completely done. Cut-up sausages into smaller pieces.
- Add green peppers, onions and diced tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Drain cooked pasta; set aside.
- Heat spaghetti sauce in a large pot.
- Add sausages and vegetables to sauce and stir.
- Add drained spaghetti to sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Serve spaghetti with salad and garlic rolls.